Article 64. The President of the Republic of Tajikistan shall be the head of state and executive authority (the Government).
The President shall be the protector of the Constitution, laws, and rights and liberties of the individual and citizen, the guarantor of national independence, unity and territorial integrity, stability, and continuity of the state, and the ensure of the functioning and cooperating of the bodies of state powers and Tajikistan's observance of international treaties.
Article 65. The citizens of Tajikistan on the basis of universal, direct, and equal suffrage shall elect the President by secret ballot for a term of 7 years.
Every citizen of the Republic of Tajikistan not younger than 35 years old speaking the state language and permanently lived on the territory of the republic at least for the last 10 years can be nominated to the post of the President.
Only a person whose nomination is signed by at least five percent of the electorate shall be eligible for candidacy to the post of President.
One person shall not be elected consecutively to the position of President for more than two term of office.
Article 66. The election of the President shall be deemed valid if more than half of the electorate takes part in it.
A candidate to the post of the President who wins votes with more than half of the voters taking part in the elections shall be considered to be elected as the President.
The Constitutional Law shall specify the procedure of the election of the President.
Article 67. The President, before assuming office shall take the following oath in the joint session of the Majlisi Milli and Majlisi Namoyandagon:
"I, as President, do solemnly swear to protect the Constitution and the laws of the republic; to guarantee the rights, liberties, honor, and dignity of the citizens; to protect territorial integrity and political, economic, and cultural independence of Tajikistan; and sincerely serve the people."
The authority of the President shall be terminated after the swearing-in of the new President.
Article 68. The President shall not occupy any other job. He shall not be a deputy of representative bodies and cannot engage in entrepreneurial activity.
Article 69. Powers of the President:
1. Shall determine principal directions of internal and foreign policy of the republic;
2. Shall represent Tajikistan in the country and in international relations;
3. Shall establish and eliminate ministries and state committees;
4. Shall appoint and dismiss the Prime Minister and other Government members, submit for confirming his decrees on the appointment and dismissal of the Prime Minister and other Government members to the joint sessions of the Majlisi Milli and Majlisi Namoyandagon;
5. Shall appoint and dismiss the chairmen of Badakhshan Mountainous Autonomous Region, regions, city of Dushanbe, towns and districts and submit for conforming to the relevant Majlis of people's deputies;
6. Shall cancel and suspend the document of the executive authority bodies in case of their conflict with the Constitution;
7. Shall appoint and dismiss the Chairman of the National Bank and his deputies and submit the relevant decrees for confirming to the Majlisi Namoyandagon;
8. Shall nominate the Chairman, his deputies and judges of the Constitutional Court, Supreme Court, Supreme Economic Court for election and recalling by the Majlisi Milli;
9. Shall appoint and dismiss with the approval of the Majlisi Milli the Prosecutor General and deputies thereof;
10. Shall set up the Executive Office of the President;
11. Shall set up and lead the Security Council;
12. Shall set up the Council of Justice;
13. Shall appoint and dismiss based on the proposals of the Council of Justice the Military court judges, judges of courts of Badakhshan Mountainous Autonomous Region, regions, city of Dushanbe, towns and districts, as well as the economic courts of Badakhshan Mountainous Autonomous Region, regions, city of Dushanbe;
14. Shall call a referendum, elections to the Majlisi Milli and Majlisi Namoyandagon and local representative bodies;
15. Shall sign laws;
16. Shall determine the monetary system and submit the relevant information to the Majlisi Milli and Majlisi Namoyandagon;
17. Shall give orders and account for reserve funds;
18. Shall lead the implementation of foreign policy, sign international agreements and submit for confirming to the Majlisi Namoyandagon;
19. Shall appoint and dismiss heads of diplomatic representative offices in foreign countries, representatives of the republic to international organizations;
20. Shall receive credentials of diplomatic representatives of foreign countries;
21. Shall be Supreme Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Tajikistan, appoint and dismiss commanders of the Armed Forces troops of Tajikistan;
22. Shall announce status of war and submit the relevant decree for confirming to the joint session of Majlisi Milli and Majlisi Namoyandagon in case of real threat to the State security;
23. Shall determine use of the Armed Forces of Tajikistan outside the country to fulfill the international commitments of Tajikistan with approval of the Majlisi Milli and Majlisi Namoyandagon;
24. Shall enounce all over the Republic, or in specific regions of the country emergency situation and immediately submit the relevant decree for confirming to the joint session of the Majlisi Milli and Majlisi Namoyandagon, as well as inform the United Nations Organization;
25. Shall solve the citizenship related issues;
26. Shall provide political asylum;
27. Shall solve amnesty related issues;
28. Shall award high military, diplomatic ranks, special ranks and titles;
29. Shall award citizens with the State prizes, decorations, State premiums and honorary titles of Tajikistan;
30. Implement other powers determined by the Constitution and laws.
Article 70. The President shall adopt decrees and give orders within the framework of his authority, inform the joint session of the Majlisi Milli and Majlisi Namoyandagon about the country's situation, and submit important and necessary issues for discussion to the joint session of the Majlisi Milli and Majlisi Namoyandagon.
Article 71. In case of death, resignation and incapability of the President, his duties prior to the beginning of assignment by the new President, shall be taken over by the Chairman of the Majlisi Milli. In this event the powers of the Chairman of the Majlisi Milli shall be delegated to his first deputy.
In the mentioned cases Presidential elections shall be undertaken within three months.
The powers of the President can be ceased in cases when he informs about his resignation in the joint session of the Majlisi Milli and Majlisi Namoyandagon by approval of the majority members of the Majlisi Milli and deputies of the Majlisi Namoyandagon, and the vote shall take place in each Majlises separately.
In case of the President's incapability to perform his duties due to sickness, confermed by the state medical commission both Majlises in their joint session shall adopt a resolution on the President's discharge of his position prior to end of his term of office by approval of not less than two thirds of members and deputies of each Majlises.
Article 72. The President shall possess the immunity right.
The immunity of the President shall be abolished in case of high treason based on the opinion of the Constitutional Court and with the approval of two thirds of the total number of the members of the Majlisi Milli and deputies of the Majlisi Namoyandagon, and the vote shall take place in each Majlises separately.